Being on the road to burnout stinks.
Your life feels like it’s being smothered in a wet blanket. Instead of seeing the world in technicolor, you see everything in monochromatic grey that’s about as exciting as the 100th Seattle rainy day in a row.
Not only has dreariness overtaken you, but according to the World Health Organization (WHO) burnout puts your health in jeopardy. And although the WHO focuses on workplace burnout, we all know that you can’t separate your life into isolated compartments.
In other words, if you’re burned out at work, you’re burned out in other areas of your life too.
Great, just what you wanted to know, right? Then you drag yourself through another day wishing you had something to look forward to.
Because if you did, you believe that maybe – just maybe! – you’d overcome the burnout that’s taking over your life.
Your instincts are correct. But how do you go about bringing the excitement and anticipation back into your life?
Let’s dive in so you can start to spice up your life.
What Is Adventurous Self-Care?
Most of us immediately think of self-care as getting a massage, or taking a long bubble bath, or enjoying a favorite treat. These are all valid ways to care for yourself, and I highly encourage them.
Adventurous self-care is just a little different, though. Its primary focus is to zing you out of your rut and help you feel alive.
When was the last time you dared yourself to jump out of your comfort zone? Because if you’re living your life in shades of burnout dreariness, I bet it’s been awhile. That’s why it’s called a comfort zone, right? Because it’s comfortable.
Until you’ve gotten so used to it that you’ve dug yourself right into a burned-out rut. And when you have, you need to light a metaphorical firecracker under you to make your world come alive again. But how?
It’s simpler than you might believe.
Discover These Adventurous Self-Care Activities
Let’s face it; you’re probably feeling a little puzzled, trying to come up with reasonable activities for adventurous self-care.
Maybe you think you have to do something huge like parachute out of a perfectly good airplane. Not so! (Unless you really want to!)Adventurous self-care doesn’t have to be something that leaves your heart in your throat or your stomach in knots. Take a look at these suggestions to get you started: Click To Tweet
Adventurous self-care doesn’t have to be something that leaves your heart in your throat or your stomach in knots. Take a look at these suggestions to get you started:
- Take a hike in the woods in a new location. Ditch the earphones and music; instead, tune in your senses to your surroundings. Try to identify the different sounds you hear, or the scents that waft around you.
- Sign up with a friend to walk, jog, or run a short race. Many communities have numerous 5k events for a variety of causes. Choose one you’d like to support, sign up, then get out there and participate. Bonus: the exercise will trigger your body to produce endorphins, the feel-good chemicals that boost your mood and help you overcome burnout.
- Take a day trip to a place you’ve wanted to visit, but haven’t. Search online for interesting events, appealing restaurants, or fun shops. Treat the trip like a mini-holiday – because it is.
- If you’re feeling somewhat daring, consider taking a comedy improv course. Many people are scared to be up on stage trying to be humorous in front of an audience, so don’t be hard on yourself if you feel frightened. No one ever died from doing improv, making it a perfect opportunity to jump out of your comfort zone!
Being adventurous doesn’t have to mean taking an African photo safari or climbing Mount Everest. There are plenty of everyday adventures to be had in your own area, and are limited only by your imagination.
Can you see how taking yourself out of your comfort zone, even if just a little bit at first, can bring you back from burnout? Depending on the activity, you’ll:
- Produce endorphins that make you feel happier and more optimistic
- Boost your self-esteem
- Raise your energy by being around supportive people
- Feel a sense of accomplishment and pride
I’m curious to know what you would do for your adventure! What appeals to you? What would help get you out of the burnout rut? Let me know in the comments below.
Let Adventurous Self-Care Bring You Back From Burnout
Burnout is serious.
So if you’re trodding down the road to burnout, I urge you to consider adventurous self-care as an antidote.
How delicious would it feel to wake up excited about your day again…
Re-awaken your dormant sense of optimism…
Look in the mirror and see yourself smiling back.
I want this for you, and I imagine you want it for yourself too.
And if you desire ongoing support from me, sign up for my email list. You’ll receive regular advice, insights, and notifications about upcoming events you won’t want to miss.
Join me! I can’t wait to share this journey with you.